Here I list the "record of the week" (often a few records), which I listen to repeatedly all week long while I work, letting the music seep deep into my mind, and painting my activities with a color that I will forever remember whenever I later recall each piece. I also post other thoughts on music here too.

2003-06-03

Welcome to ATROCITY JUKEBOX. This is my second blog, and it is an extension of my first, multipurpose blog, Future Wave. I hope to devote Atrocity Jukebox solely to my passion for music. The name Atrocity Jukebox, in addition to Future Wave, is also the name of a song by Tower Recordings. I will lead off by saying that, despite the subjectivities of music, this collective of musicians has created some of the more colored music of the day, and although they contain many regressions to hippy culture, Tower Recordings is foward-thinking (as I purport myself to be) in that they are the epitome of what I call "space folk". It is both an expression of the folk of forest and tribal cultures and the space of science fiction. It is not a shiny technological hi-fi space of lustrous qualities, as much of the nascent electronica is becoming. Rather, the electronics involved are fractured, dirty, psychedelic and schizophrenic, unclean as the tragedy of industrial existence. It does not proclaim "hooray we space cadets are here!" Instead if proffers the conundrum of what living in a tragic delusion of postindustry's diversions is like. Where it is not dirty in its avant-experimentalism (some drone and noise excursions), it retreats into spiritual caverns. Spirituality is, apart from community and progress, the solace for the soul that may effectively claim to grant salvation. So, it is without further ado that I grant to you ATROCITY JUKEBOX; a collection of ruminations on the atroticties of musical culture. It is not to claim that the music I listen to is atrocious, but rather the injustice of coralling neo-psychedelia into the underground is despicable. Let me remind you that I, a lover of psychedelic music, am drug-free. It is unneccessary to embark on these fast highways to get where we intend to go, and it is for this reason I am writing this blog: to show you all that music is my drug that expands my mind with color.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I study photosynthetic microorganisms.