Here I list the "record of the week" (often a few records), which I listen to repeatedly all week long while I work, letting the music seep deep into my mind, and painting my activities with a color that I will forever remember whenever I later recall each piece. I also post other thoughts on music here too.

2003-06-08

I had an interesting idea tonight about music to create. I'm reading a Philip K. Dick novel (The Martian Time Slip) and a character encoded a secret message and then disguised it as a piece of electronic music. In a later book of Dick's, Radio Free Albemuth, Dick's characters encode hidden, subversive messages in the lyrical format of popular music. As long as America remains true to the spirit of Liberty and free speech (sometimes I think we totter on the edge), there would be no need to encode any sort of radical ideas. Yet, there may come a day when certain comrades may need to communicate in the dark; perhaps forming a new system of code through sampled electronic music may prove interesting. Another interesting application of this would be the elucidation of a more ubiquitous emotional and informational experiential content of wordless music.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I study photosynthetic microorganisms.