Here I list the "record of the week" (often a few records), which I listen to repeatedly all week long while I work, letting the music seep deep into my mind, and painting my activities with a color that I will forever remember whenever I later recall each piece. I also post other thoughts on music here too.

2008-12-01

SARASATE // MACHINEFABRIEK
Sarasate: Zigeunerweisen
I went to see the Japanese film, Zigeunerweisen, at the Pacific Film Archive. This musical piece was a central theme and even plot item of the film. Great film, but moreover, great piece of music. I ended up downloading every version I could get my hands on. One version actually played an arrangement that included gypsy instrumentation, and that one (James Last, not the techno version though) is highly recommended. So are the ones with less orchestra, such as Simon Hewitt Jones, Sandor Lakatos, Arthur Grumiaux. Please, if you have any recommendations of music like this, let me know; it's really fabulous.
Machinefabriek: Marijn
This group collaborated with Jasper TX on one of the albums from last week, so I decided to check them out. I know nothing about them. But I like it. Whirring somber post-drone post-rock. (Gosh, why do I let myself drop such apellations?!!!)

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I study photosynthetic microorganisms.