Here I list the "record of the week" (often a few records), which I listen to repeatedly all week long while I work, letting the music seep deep into my mind, and painting my activities with a color that I will forever remember whenever I later recall each piece. I also post other thoughts on music here too.

2008-12-08

ROTHKO // STEVE GUNN
Rothko: Eleven Shades of Intervention
I forgot about this group for a long time. This is amazing stuff. Somber bass-driven sparse reverb delay and shimmer. Whirring, sighing, undulating, trembling. It was perfect for the three-hour walk I took along the ocean while in Pacific Grove for a microbiology conference. Oh, I yearn for more music like this. And I learned how incredible music can be if you listen to it in the proper setting.
Steve Gunn: Rif
It's been a while since I listened to any GHQ or Steve Gunn. I like this a lot. It's no different from the rest, but it's good sometimes-acoustic fingerpicked guitar psychedelia, some guest humming and moaning, and plenty of Eastern angles for the lovers of mystery.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I study photosynthetic microorganisms.