Here I list the "record of the week" (often a few records), which I listen to repeatedly all week long while I work, letting the music seep deep into my mind, and painting my activities with a color that I will forever remember whenever I later recall each piece. I also post other thoughts on music here too.

2008-11-17

WEEK OF 081117: DEATH CHANTS // ELUVIUM // LIGETI // SCRIABIN
Death Chants: I Have Seen A Thousand Swim Through Skies
A new short release by this neat space folk outfit, a member of which I once corresponded with. I really like them, and wish that they would release music more often.
Eluvium: Time Travel of the Sloth
I think this came from a split album with someone else. I am in love with this music. Sometimes he makes ambient space drone, sometimes he makes gorgeous reverb piano pieces. Sometimes he even does both. I have never been disappointed by his work and I am sadly nearing the end of his catalog.
Ligeti: Continuum, Nouvelles Aventures
In response to my wonderful experience hearing "SF Polyphony" at the UC Symphony last week, I tried to find more work by Ligeti that I might like. I found these pieces, thinking I might like them, but they seemed to be too conceptual and not "holy" enough. I listened to both the organ and the harpsichord version of continuum, and the latter piece was a bunch of voice that coalesced into a din. yuck.
Scriabin: Poeme De L'extase
I had to revisit this piece after the glory of hearing it performed live last week.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I study photosynthetic microorganisms.