Here I list the "record of the week" (often a few records), which I listen to repeatedly all week long while I work, letting the music seep deep into my mind, and painting my activities with a color that I will forever remember whenever I later recall each piece. I also post other thoughts on music here too.

2008-11-10

WEEK OF 081110: LIGETI // SHOSTAKOVICH // STRAVINSKY
Ligeti: SF Polyphony
(I picked these pieces in preparation to hear them at the UC Symphony on the Saturday at the end of the week.) Wow..... I had once seen Ligeti's "atmospheres" performed at the UC Symphony, and was floored... This was just the same. This music is really no different from the electric drone that I listen to. Not all of Ligeti's pieces are like this. People might describe it as dense sound, but I resent that description.
Shostakovich: Symphony 1
Eh... It's turning out that I'm not so interested in Shostakovich. He's great, no doubt, but there's a self-indulgence that I've found in all his works. If I had the patience, I might cull the best moments... But I don't.
Stravinsky: Petrouchka
While I don't dislike this, I didn't listen to it much, and it apparently didn't matter because the orchestra decided not to play it, and instead played Scriabin's "poem d'extase", which I listened to a year ago and loved.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I study photosynthetic microorganisms.