Here I list the "record of the week" (often a few records), which I listen to repeatedly all week long while I work, letting the music seep deep into my mind, and painting my activities with a color that I will forever remember whenever I later recall each piece. I also post other thoughts on music here too.

2009-06-15

Expo '70: Black Ohms
Expo '70: White Ohms
I did an interesting thing recently to discover new musicians. I did this by downloading the first track off of many records by bands I'm not acquainted with, found from a user on Soulseek whose tastes I could tell I am sharing. I went through them and separated those which I liked from those whose worth was not immediately striking, and then studied the striking ones to decide which albums to investigate. One of the most illuminating sounds came from the band Expo '70. I know nothing about them, but their sort of post-krautrock post-postrock space drone (read: space drone played with apparent buzzing near-easternness and clean reverb-y stringed declarations) is much in line with other things I enjoy, which might deserve such a ridiculous genre-name as "post-postrock" (I'd put Yellow6 and Rothko in that category, maybe Emeralds and Colleen and Fabio Orsi, certainly Chessie).

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I study photosynthetic microorganisms.