Here I list the "record of the week" (often a few records), which I listen to repeatedly all week long while I work, letting the music seep deep into my mind, and painting my activities with a color that I will forever remember whenever I later recall each piece. I also post other thoughts on music here too.

2008-07-29

WEEK OF 080728: ARCHDUKE TRIO // EMERALDS
Beethoven: Archduke Piano Trio, No.7 (Op.97)
I'm listening to several versions, with Previn, Ashkenazy, Barenboim, or Kempff as the pianist. So far I can't tell any difference, and all of them are unfortunately softening Ludwig's outbursts (which I cherish). I must find a version of this that is true to the composer's idiosyncrasy. This was written a year after the 5th Symphony, so we know Ludwig was not all clear in the head, including his struggle with accepting his deafness. Supposedly at the premiere of this piece (Beethoven's last performance as a pianist), he banged so hard the strings jangled in the loud spots, and so soft in the quiet spots that entire notes were omitted.
Emeralds: Golden Swirl, and Planetarium
I've never heard of this band, but they were recently recommended by Volcanic Tongue. It's quite lovely, quiet space drone. One record is a bit more substantial than the other. I think I like this group and will try to find out more about them.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I study photosynthetic microorganisms.