Here I list the "record of the week" (often a few records), which I listen to repeatedly all week long while I work, letting the music seep deep into my mind, and painting my activities with a color that I will forever remember whenever I later recall each piece. I also post other thoughts on music here too.

2008-07-08

WEEK OF 080707: DVORAK // TCHAIKOVSKY // (VxPxC)
Dvorak: Dumky Piano Trio (Op. 90)
I was searching for some more composers that incorporate non-Western music into their orchestral or chamber pieces. Dvorak was, of course, well known for including eastern European melodies, which of course were often sour-sounding, because rural life can be tough.
Tchaikovsky: Dumka (Op. 59)
I ought to try out all of the latter Tchaikovsky pieces that lack vocals.
(VxPxC): Porchmass
These guys hosted the Bottling Smoke festival that I went to last spring, in LA. I quite enjoyed their languorous instrumental set, as I have also enjoyed some of their other albums. This is a bit more percussive than the other things I've heard. Their music makes me think of high heat in summer, but that's perhaps because I first heard it in LA, and we don't get much heat here in SF, so the music has nestled into my sensory emotions.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I study photosynthetic microorganisms.