Here I list the "record of the week" (often a few records), which I listen to repeatedly all week long while I work, letting the music seep deep into my mind, and painting my activities with a color that I will forever remember whenever I later recall each piece. I also post other thoughts on music here too.

2008-05-12

WEEK OF 080512 PLAYLIST: NIN // BEETHOVEN
Nine Inch Nails: Ghosts I, Ghosts II
Wow! This is the Trent Reznor that I've been waiting for!! I'd always suspected that he would have been making this sort of music, perhaps secretly under another name. I love the places where his piston-pumping factory imagery (particular to "industrial" music) coalesces with the sparse and beautiful Eno ambient soundscapes. I only wish the pieces were a bit more intricate, but I suppose he wants people to mix the tracks and add the intricacies in a collaborative sort of way. This album (so far, I'm taking it a little at a time) is just wonderful. I played it for my eldest housemate (who eschews all rock/post-rock music) while scraping glue off of used slats of oak flooring (for a new library we're constructing), and he actually liked it, even the hyena hissing/screaming in the background, which is more subdued than on the early NIN albums.
Beethoven: Woo.80, 32 Variations in C minor

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I study photosynthetic microorganisms.